Sunday, November 04, 2007

starbucks in china, the caucasian hangout

As today is Sunday, and the group I'm with has split into subgroups to rest or tour. As I'll be back in 2 weeks or so, I opted to rest. I'll have plenty of time to tour about over the next 6 months.

Well even if you have the 'do not disturb' sign on the door, that's not what it means. I was called twice by the front desk, that I needed to leave so they could clean. So on the second time, I opted to go for a walkabout.

Took a short walk around town, just kept the monorail in sight as it was my landmark.It's also the 'rest day' for the locals, so there were plenty of people out for a stroll or laying in the park. There's a octoberfest(in november) at the crowne plaza, so maybe I'll get some better beer?

On my return to the hotel, my will broke down, and as I write this now, I'm sitting in a starbucks. I tried to survive purely on chinese food for 2 weeks, but I really just wanted a small meal - oh and a large latte(I refuse to use starbucks language).

While sitting here, I've seen more caucasians, and caucasian women since I was in HK. It's a welcome sight. This is the caucasian hangout, I think I may come here tomorrow morning and get a normal size breakfast.

It's also the hangout for the wealthier locals, I can see. A single large latte and turnover, probably cost more then one weeks meal for most of the workers here.

Another nicety, never seen this in any other starbucks, endless supply of trials. I've has a vanilla latte, ham/cheese croissant, and now some frappucino in the few minutes of writing this blog. I think this will be my safety haven when I'm stuck here for weeks on my own.

No comments: