Monday, September 11, 2006

Rants...

Well here goes my Rants post of the ....

well let's start w/ airlines and airports...actually due to the anniversary today, I'll postpone that till tomorrow.

Chicago....
Traffic - I was in chi-town this past weekend. I believe chicago may have the worst traffic in the US. Sure LA and NYC have lots of traffic; but at least they have many options. Chicago has 2 options for going north/south. NYC has between 2-3million people commuting in/out every day; and although there is plenty of traffic it always clears b/t 3-7; chicago could go from 2-8. And most of the road is under construction; which just adds to the madness. Luckily I put my chinese driving lessons to the test, and people did move out of the way for me...but I was afraid of getting shot as well.

So they have the interesting double decker trains; but why won't anyone put in a highspeed ferry or maybe a hovercraft(to account for the ice). That alone would save a lot of congestion.

Road design - what moron decided to put a toll @ the o'hare exit which has not cash option. It's either exact change or ezpass.

Suburbs - quite odd; as you head up I-94 or such; near the hwy there's lots of corporate parks; but get off and you're miles away from the suburbs; and in a mix of farms and junk yards.

Parking - try finding a free place to park in the city. I was stuck driving around town till 6pm due to my flight restriction. The parking in garages was more expensive then NYC; quite an amazing feat. So I got tired of walking up and down michicagn ave; and thought maybe I could go to a park and read; and there are plenty of open spaces about; but you need to pay to go to all of them. So either I neeeded to drive back north to the upper suburbs(parking is free there) or drive about....well I drove about and then opted to go to the airport...[thank god I did...more on that tomorrow]

Cars....

Ah!!! I love cars and hate them all at the same time; they're not much different the boats or planes. Although I do like some of the ICE [in car entertainment]; I think we should go back to simple carburetors and transmissions.

So I've made the same mistake 2x; b/c of a good deal...which alone I should've questioned. I got 2 new models of cars...one was supposed to have fixed all the issues of it's lineage[not so!]. And the other my current love/hate; has all the bells and whistles, goes really quick, gets good mileage, and is good for the environment...yes as all cars now are conglomeration of parts; there is 1 part which continues to make my life a living hell every 15-20G miles.

So now I've decided I need to get this fixed 1 last time; and trade it in. As I'm now only on extended warranty. So I now go down the line....how fast; how much space; how practical; etc. Too many choices....1/2 of me says go pratical, spend the money elseware(travel, etc); they other 1/2 say....you only live once; get whatever you can afford - sure fuel is expensive relatively[the US is cheap; compared to elseware].

Boat....
And a BOAT...which stands for Bet On Another Thousand. So who want's a boat? 24' cutty cabin; w/ dual I/O OMC 150hp w/ cobra outboards? To much time and money for me to waste w/ it.

well now I'll go and rest a bit...low on sleep due to airport woes...more tomorrow.

No comments: